The Mission Marketplace is committed to raise awareness about economic and social justice. An integral part of our mission is education. We're always looking for opportunities for speaking engagements at churches, civic groups, scouts, etc.
We've collaborated with the Adult Learners Institute, offering classes in Fair Trade and "The Bittersweet History of Chocolate".
International Book Club: The Mission Marketplace and McKune Memorial Library are conducting a book club, with reading selections reflecting empowerment, multiculturalism and books having a global impact.
We meet the first Thursday of every month, 7pm at the McKune Library on Main St.
Upcoming 2011 book reads:
Thursday, Nov. 3rd, 2011, 7 pm.
McKune Memorial Library.
"I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced" by Nujood Ali. Nujood Ali (born 1998) is a figure of Yemen's fight against forced marriage. At the age of ten, she obtained a divorce, breaking with the tribal tradition.
Previously, we read:
- "Camel Bookmobile" by Masha Hamilton
- "The Witch Doctor's Wife" by Tamar Myers
- "1491: New Revelations of the World Before Columbus" by Charles Mann
- "Strength in What Remains" by Tracy Kidder
- "News of a Kidnapping" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- "Stealing Buddha's Dinner," by Bich Minh Nguyen
- "The Farming of Bones," by Edwidge Danticat
- "Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha," by Roddy Doyle
- The Bookseller of Kabul, by Asne Sierstad
- The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga
- They Poured Fire on us from the Sky: The True Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan , by Alphonsion Deng
- House at Sugar Beach, by Helene Cooper of Liberia, Africa
- In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson of Austrailia
- The Brief and Woundrous Life of Oscar Wao, bu Junot Diaz, of the Dominican Republic
- The Eighth Promise: An American Son's Tribute to His Toisanese Mother, by William Poy Lee (See study questions).
- Brick Lane, by Monica Ali.
- Hungry Planet: What the World Eats, by Peter Menzel
- Bastards of Istanbul, by Elif Shafek
- Half of a Yellow Sun, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
- View this list of International Books that will help connect you to our friends and neighbors in the rest of the world.
- Not sponsored by The Mission Marketplace, but may be of interest to our readers (sponsored by Transition Town Chelsea):
Film series: Transitioning to a Lower Impact Life, all Fridays, 7 pm at Chelsea's Welfare Building (see flyer)
- October 28—No Impact Man
- November 18—Off the Grid & Moneyless Man
- December 2—Living the Good Life & Alone in the Wilderness
- December 16—Back to the Garden